• Welcome to the Lago Vista City Council Message Board. Only Lago Vista City Council members and authorized staff are allowed to post on this message board. City Council members may not vote or take any action that is required to be taken at a meeting by posting a communication on this message board. In no event shall a communication or posting on this message board be construed to be an action of the Lago Vista City Council.

Proposal to Create a Voluntary Golf Fee Program

Shane Saum

Dear Councilmembers,

I am seeking your input on a draft proposal I have submitted to the Mayor to be included on the September 5th council meeting agenda to create a voluntary golf fee program. The purpose of the Voluntary Fee Program for the Lago Vista Golf Course is to generate additional revenue for the maintenance and improvement of the golf course through a voluntary contribution system. The program includes provisions for optional contributions related to annual memberships, daily golf rates, events, and tournaments. This initiative allows golfers and event participants to support the course beyond their standard fees, providing a flexible approach to enhancing the quality and sustainability of the golf course. The hope is to be creative with a program to secure additional funding for the Lago Vista Golf Course while keeping the contributions voluntary, thereby allowing participants to support the facility according to their preferences. I believe this is program is relevant now as we review the budget and a potential tax rate increase and are looking for new revenue sources. The proposed ordinance is attached. The amounts of the voluntary fees are negotiable and I would appreciate y'alls thoughts and opinions.

Several cities have implemented voluntary fee programs for various municipal purposes, often to support services or projects that might not receive sufficient funding through traditional means. Eagle, Colorado, a town with a population of around 7,000, introduced a voluntary recreation fee as part of their utility bill. This fee supports the town's parks and recreation department, funding improvements to local trails, parks, and open spaces. Fayetteville, Arkansas offers residents the option to donate funds specifically for tree preservation and planting projects within the city. Grand Haven, a small city on the shores of Lake Michigan, has a voluntary fee program where residents can donate to a fund dedicated to public art installations throughout the city. Rockport, Texas uses a voluntary fee to help fund the local fire department.

Attachments

Back